08 March 2017

My {Experience} at a BYU Basketball Game

Heidee? At a BYU game? Did she get lost?
I know, it is actually kind of crazy to me that I went as well. 
Here is a little bit of background information. I dislike BYU. To avoid further questions, Here is a glimpse of my reasoning. I don't have a real reason behind this dislikery. (Yup, I just made that word up. Deal with it.) Meaning, I wasn't rejected of going to school, I have never personally known anyone that went there that was a completely awful person, and I don't think that a school having a religious prerogative is a bad thing. However,  I don't think it is right to require a student to take a religious course, regardless of their major, and then insist that they pay for the courses When you could go to any other school and take these courses for free. I don't like that there is a price difference in tuition on members vs non-members. And I also feel that those who have grown up in Utah should not be able to go.  I feel that those who have not grown up in a state that holds that level of spirit and comfort should get first, if not all, dibs. 
I also, am a little defiant by nature. (I know, shocker.) So when someone says, "Heidee, you like BYU!" and I say, "Uh, no I don't." Their response will go one of two ways. 
"What? Aren't you Mormon?" 
Or
"Heidee, that is like the symbol of our religion.""
You see my dilemma... I have been going to church for a long time, and I don't remember reading anywhere that liking BYU brought me eternal salvation, and I also thought that the symbol for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, was Christ.
Weird.

Anyway, I have a friend, Sara, who loves sports more than most people I know. She sometimes gets a little crazy about Gonzaga, but that's okay. 

Here begins our real story.
Gozaga and BYU have a pretty big rivalry, from what I am told. And Gonzaga came to Utah to play basketball. Sara was dying to go, and honestly I'm up for going to any event and I am usually up for a place that gives me and excuse to Boo BYU. :) 


So, our evening started with eating at Carabas, obviously. Good Italian food is a MUST!
Then we went to the stadium. Which, is a nightmare to try and get parking, even if you are super early. 


Now, comes the actual experience.
Honestly, it was incredible how many people were there. The place was jam packed and the student section took up nearly a quarter of the stadium. Everyone knew the fight song (Which isn't hard when it consists of 9 "Raws" and a "GooooOOOOOO Cougars!") and it was kind of cool to see a college have that much support. But it also made me really, really sad. Because if people like us had chose to go to Weber State, who also has an excellent basketball team, then Weber would have the money and capabilities of being as strong as a team as Gonzaga or BYU. But, instead, people have this mentality that they need to support BYU for one reason or another. So, while there were 15,000+ people at Lavell Edwards Stadium, there were probably 1,000-2,000 at the Dee Events Center that same night. 

On top of all those sad feelings, anger was easily arose in us because of the people sitting around us. Now, don't get me wrong, We obviously were the minority of Gonzaga wearing individuals. But the fans were rude and condescending to us for the majority of the game. It almost felt like because I was a young girl wearing a Gonzaga shirt, all of the sudden my ability to have any knowledge in any subject was irrelevant.  It was frustrating to be surrounded by so many people that were so negative against any call that was made for the opposing team or against their own. It was almost as if they had never been to a basketball game before. Fouls happen and sometimes the team you are playing is better than you. Deal with it. 

In review, there were things that I loved and hated about going to the basketball game. Being at such a full stadium was cool, Carabas in only in Provo, I got to see my best friend, Michaela when I was down there, and I got to watch a decent basketball team and be a part of a history making win for Gonzaga. But, I wished that the fans were kinder, that people supported such an amazing school 60 miles north, and that a rivalry could have some class, instead of a bunch of malarkey. 

Until Next Time...
Peace & Blessings.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment